Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS)
Mission Community Services Society new-to-Canada team assists students and their families to settle in their schools and community. We provide orientation to the education system and to other Canadian customs and institutions, as well as information and referrals to education and community resources. We are here to assist students and their families to strengthen their community connections, and promote culturally sensitive links between school staff and newcomer families.
School based services provided by SWIS:
- Outreach to all newly arrived families
- Settlement advice for students, parents and school staff.
- Information and Orientation sessions
- Referral links to appropriate community resources
- Registration assistance
- Explain school expectations for students and parents
SWIS can also:
- Connect with community organizations who support students and families.
- Accompany parents and guardians to meetings and progress reviews.
- Arrange activities for school aged students, registered in our program, during the school year.
- Support international students staying with family and/or friends.
- Connect students and families to other community resources concerning, e.g., transport, banking,employment, housing and medical.