Who can sponsor a dinner?
Any community group, whether formally organized or not, can host a dinner.
Additionally, we welcome the idea of groups working together in partnership.
Past sponsors have included the fire department, local churches, community foundations, social service providers, schools and other neighborhood groups.
We welcome any group that wants to work with us.
What is Stone Soup?
Stone Soup is a made-in-Mission initiative aimed at reducing and eliminating homelessness in our community. It is founded in the principle that all of us have something to contribute neighbor to neighbor. Stone Soup works with community groups of every size and description to muster resources that will help people in need to find secure housing and the means to remain successfully in their home.
What’s the purpose of a Stone Soup dinner?
At first glance, it might appear that the purpose of a Stone Soup dinner is a free meal for people in need, but this is not the case. In reality, Stone Soup dinners are a community-bridging exercise. They use the power of constructive mutual activity to:
Reduce stigma about homelessness and its contributing factors:
- Build neighbor-to-neighbor relationships that can help;
- Inspire members of the community to think about how they can contribute to reduce homelessness;
- Build understanding about homelessness and its causes;
- Help people to understand the variety of resources available in our community;
- And create a stronger sense of community through celebration, gratitude and altruism.