Emergency Shelter Worker
40 Hours / Week
Tuesday to Saturday Nights
*1 Position Available*
Since its inception in 1972, Mission Community Services has maintained a focus on helping fellow community members who need assistance to cope with the realities of life. What started out as neighbours helping neighbours over 50 years ago has evolved into an organization that operates dozens of programs applicable to virtually all populations in the community.
What you’ll do
- Provide emergency shelter and gateway services for clients who are homeless.
- Gather information from clients to identify needs and risks, and then provide information to appropriate sources.
- Handle the admission, orientation and evaluation of clients’ understanding of rules; ensure ongoing enforcement of policies.
- Identifies social, economic, recreational, and educational services in the community that will meet clients’ needs.
- Accurately record day to day happenings using the appropriate methods; intake forms, maintain communication logs and complete all forms required.
- Carry out inspection / security checks of property and grounds in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Performs housekeeping duties such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, emptying garbage, sterilizing washrooms, cleaning, and laundry.
- Maintains connections with other agencies, professionals, government officials, and the community.
What you bring
- Post-secondary education, plus a minimum 2 years’ experience working with relevant population, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Current First Aid, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Food Safe Certification
- Successful completion of Criminal Record check
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication, organizational, computer and problem-solving skills essential
- Culturally competent
- Knowledge of local resources
Department: Housing & Shelter
Status: Full-time 40 hours per week
Schedule: Tuesday to Saturday 12:00 to 08:00
Wage: Grid 10 ($21.63-25.19)
This role is open to all applicants and union membership is required.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com