Join us in helping people, changing lives, and building community.
Housing and Shelter Workers play an important role at Mission Community Services Society. You’ll help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness get back to independent living through support of life skills and referrals to other community agencies.
We are hiring for our Extreme Weather Shelter, Emergency Short Term Shelter and Supportive Housing locations. You can choose to be Casual On-Call, Part-Time or Full-Time and work a schedule that fits your life, whether it’s day shift, afternoons, or overnights.
What you’ll do
- Provide a warm and safe welcome to all who arrive at our doors. Intake and orient clients to our facilities.
- Assist with case management by identifying potential problems and reporting any difficulties. Provide input to counsellor, professional, regarding the development of appropriate program plans to achieve residents’ objectives.
- Contribute to the evaluation of residents’ progress and prepares reports.
- Provide emotional support and feedback to clients.
- Perform housekeeping duties such as laundry, sweeping, mopping floors, inventory, cleaning equipment and food services.
- Maintain reports such as statistics, logbooks, and daily activities.
- Identify social, economic, recreational, and educational services in the community that will meet clients’ needs. Establish and maintain liaison with other agencies, professionals, government officials and the community.
- Participate in the assessment, goal setting and program planning for individuals living in a residence. Document, implement, and provide input into the evaluation of the program.
- Assist with life skills training such as meal preparation, housekeeping, personal care skills and personal finance and implement personal service plans.
- Participate in various client-focused activities in accordance with care plans.
- Recognize, analyze, and deal with potential emergency situations to ensure safety of staff and clients.
What you bring
- Post-secondary education, plus a minimum one year of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills; able to communicate effectively across cultures.
- Knowledge of services, community-based programs and resources in the area.
- Good computer skills; knowledge of Office365.
- Current First Aid, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Food Safe Certification
- Successful completion of Criminal Record check
What we offer
- Wage as per BCGEU Collective Agreement: $21.63 to $25.19 per hour
- Casual/On-Call employees receive 10.2% in lieu of vacation and statutory holidays
- Full-time and part-time employees working 20+ hours per week are eligible for benefits which include:
- Extended Health and Dental coverage
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Vacation starting at 3 weeks per year
- Sick pay
Please apply with a cover letter and resume. Tell us why you are a good fit and let us know what schedule suits you best. Interviews are ongoing.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org