- This event has passed.
Bugs and Insects
May 12, 2021 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm$5.00
Join us for this informative and fun workshop learning about some of the creatures that share our backyards with us. Discover fun and informative ways to teach children about their outside environment and the benefits they have on our ecosystem (however much you might dislike some of them).
- Come join us as we help children identify a ladybug larva or learn the difference between a honeybee and a wasp. Why aren’t spiders’ insects and which insects undergo complete metamorphisms?
- Discover how valuing and accepting others’ unique attributes can bring harmony… even to a garden’s ecosystem.
- These concepts are amazingly explored through author Dee Braaksma’s new children’s book, “Lazybugs …?” Dee believes studying entomology with children is a great destressing therapy for all involved.
- Each workshop participant will get to take home a copy of “Lazybugs” to share with the children in their centres.
Author Deeana Braaksma has a long history working in the Early childhood education field and has been an early Childhood Educator for over 35 years. Dee is a published children’s book author and currently employed as both a manager, and teacher, in pre-school education. In her personal time she enjoys the beauty of the outside world as honeybee hobbyist and avid gardener, in addition to being a grandma to 15 beautiful children.
Location: MCSS Family Place (Bowling Club) – 7560 Hurd Street, Mission B.C.
- It is the participants’ responsibility to read the workshop/course description and make sure the training selected is suitable for their learning needs.
- Participants must be 19 years of age at the time of registration.
- The equivalent of Grade 8 high-school English understanding, written and oral skills are necessary to actively participate in class.
- Participants must stay for the full workshop/course & actively participate to receive a certificate.
- Doors close 15 minutes after start time in respect to facilitator and participants.
- We are unable to accommodate children during workshop/course time. Please make childcare arrangements.
- Payment must be made at the time of registration to confirm a seat. Registration is online only.
- Receipts and handouts are always sent by email.
- There is a $15 charge to reprint a certificate or receipt for up to 1 year from the workshop/course date.
- Everyone in the class must abide by the Classroom Code of Conduct.
- These are non-credit workshops/courses, meaning they cannot be applied towards the completion of a university or college certificate, diploma or degree.
- If you have questions about a certificate being accepted by the ECE Registry, please contact them at 1-888-338-6622 or look on their website here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/early-learning/teach/training-and-professional-development/become-an-early-childhood-educator/renew-maintain-ece-certification
- While facilitators strive to cover each workshop’s content as outlined in the description as closely as possible, it is important to point out that each educator is on an individual and unique learning pathway.
Register for the course by purchasing a ticket below. For more information email [email protected] or call 604-826-3634.