- This event has passed.
Speech and Language Development in the Early Year
January 13 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm$5.00
This workshop recognizes the important role that early childhood educators play in promoting children’s early language development and will help you understand the different milestones of communication and how to help them with some of the common problems that you will encounter. We will also cover the Normal & Atypical Speech & Language Development in the Preschool Years and address communication skills and development in the 0–5 population. Emphasis will be on:
- Communication milestones
- Communication delays versus communication disorders
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Stuttering and voice difficulties
- feeding and swallowing challenges
- augmentative and alternative communication
- Bilingual and multilingual language development
- Where and how to access services
- Strategies to facilitate language development
Location: MCSS Family Place – 33313 3rd Ave, Mission B.C.
Shari is the director of Advantage SLP, a Speech-Language Pathology clinic based out of Richmond, with a team of over 20 therapists. The speech-language pathologists see clients in the Steveston clinic, in clients’ private homes, or in healthcare, childcare, or educational facilities. Shari has been a SLP for 27years. She is on the Registry of Autism Service Providers and has training in Hanen’s “It Takes Two to Talk”, “More Than Words”, and “Talkability”. Shari is also the Chair of the Board of Directors for Speech-Language and Audiology Canada.
To register, purchase a ticket below. For more information email [email protected] or call 604-826-3634.
Location: Online Workshop
- It is the participants’ responsibility to read the workshop/course description and make sure the training selected is suitable for their learning needs.
- Participants must be 19 years of age at the time of registration.
- The equivalent of Grade 8 high-school English understanding, written and oral skills are necessary to actively participate in class.
- Participants must stay for the full workshop/course & actively participate to receive a certificate.
- Doors close 15 minutes after start time in respect to facilitator and participants.
- We are unable to accommodate children during workshop/course time. Please make childcare arrangements.
- Payment must be made at the time of registration to confirm a seat. Registration is online only.
- Receipts and handouts are always sent by email.
- There is a $15 charge to reprint a certificate or receipt for up to 1 year from the workshop/course date.
- Everyone in the class must abide by the Classroom Code of Conduct.
- These are non-credit workshops/courses, meaning they cannot be applied towards the completion of a university or college certificate, diploma or degree.
- If you have questions about a certificate being accepted by the ECE Registry, please contact them at 1-888-338-6622 or look on their website here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/early-learning/teach/training-and-professional-development/become-an-early-childhood-educator/renew-maintain-ece-certification
- While facilitators strive to cover each workshop’s content as outlined in the description as closely as possible, it is important to point out that each educator is on an individual and unique learning pathway.