- June 20, 2019 was a day of introductions and a fond farewell during the LIP quarterly meeting at Mission Community Services where WorkBC Employment Services manager Joseph Gillett (centre in pic at right) and job developer and long-time Mission resident (right) Allison Jack were introduced as part of the LIP. We also said a fond farewell to retiring LIP member Pia Ritch of Mission Community Skills Centre.
The meeting featured updates on our community projects (Citizenship Ceremony, ask on newcomer statement to District of Mission Council, leveraging PR opportunities for our Oct. 18 Festival of Light: Diwali and incorporating newcomer volunteer support) and focused on a discussion on employment services for newcomers through WorkBC which is under contract by Maximus.
- The LIP and settlement representative Saba Alam have been asked to present to clients at WorkBC either on a date this month or next.
- Bumper sticker #AllAreWelcomeHere campaign has extended to St. Ann’s Anglican Church, The Stage, Mission Downtown Business Association and Perfect Piece Optical Boutique now and the value of LIP partnerships is integrated into the stories in the MCSS annual report which will be distributed June 25 at the AGM.
- Outcome of the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot economic development and employment for newcomers application of interest competition was released, showing the B.C. recipients are Vernon and West Kootenay region. Other recipient sites are Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Timmins and North Bay, Ontario; Gretna-Rhineland-Altona-Plum Coulee and Brandon, Manitoba; Moose Jaw, Sask. and Claresholm, Alberta. Mission LIP and MCSS submitted its application of interest for the project in late February.
- Good news is that the Mission LIP has new representatives from WorkBC and Allison Snider, executive assistant to MLA Simon Gibson, succeeding Jean Hooge.
- Next Mission Local Immigration Partnership (LIP) dates this year are Sept. 19, Nov. 21 and March 5 in 2020. To read more about the Mission LIP, click HERE.